Continuing SUGARMAN’s updates on the Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Litigation, we take a closer look at the Honoring our PACT (Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics) Act of 2022 which allows for the bringing of claims and lawsuits for personal injuries and harm caused by exposure to the chemicals in the Camp Lejeune water supply.

Am I Eligible to Bring a Camp Lejeune Claim?

In order to be eligible to bring a claim, a person must:

  1. Have “resided, worked or been otherwise exposed (including in utero exposure)” to the Camp Lejeune water supply;
  2. Have been exposed to the contaminated water for no less than 30 days; and
  3. Have been exposed during the period of August 1, 1953 – December 31, 1987.

These are the “basic” requirements for eligibility, but a claimant must still prove that his or her medical condition was caused by exposure to the chemicals in the Camp Lejeune water supply.

Are Camp Lejeune Claims Limited to Veterans?

No. The PACT Act specifically includes veterans, their family members, and any individual who was exposed to the Camp Lejeune water supply and meets the criteria above.

What Must I Prove Regarding My Injuries to be Eligible?

This is a more complicated issue that will be the subject of future blog topics. Essentially, a person bringing a claim has the burden of proof to “produce evidence that the relationship between exposure to [Camp Lejeune’s] water and harm is”, at a minimum, “at least as likely as not (50/50)”. At present, the federal government has already determined that certain medical conditions meet the relationship or burden of proof requirements.


SUGARMAN’s personal injury attorneys, led by Principal David McCormack, are now investigating claims for eligible Massachusetts veterans and civilians who have suffered injuries, developed cancers, or died as a result of exposure to the chemicals in the Camp Lejeune water supply.

If you or a loved one believe you may have a potential claim due to exposure to contaminated water, please contact us at 617-542-1000, fill out the Contact Form on the main Camp Lejeune litigation page, or e-mail us at